Blog

3 Skills Companies Should Look for in a Sales Candidate

What skills do the 1% of the world’s best salespeople possess that the other 99% don’t have? Here are three skills you should be on the lookout for during your recruitment campaigns.

by nudgegroup on August 18, 2021

Not all sales candidates are equal. Some applicants are just decidedly better qualified and suited for the job than others.

But what skills do the 1% of the world’s best salespeople possess that the other 99% don’t have?

Here are three skills you should be on the lookout for during your recruitment campaigns.

Strong communication skills

Communication is an art. And the late businessman Jim Rohn said it best, “If you just communicate, you can get by. But if you communicate skilfully, you can work miracles.”

A sales candidate with strong communication skills knows how to tactfully use the various communication mediums at their disposal to close sales.

They understand that communication is more than mere words, as research demonstrates that just 7% of all communication is based on actual spoken words.

And this brings us to the next skill to look for…

A carefully curated personal image

The top 1% of salespeople appreciate the power of a carefully curated personal image.

People are more likely to do business and trust someone who presents and carries themselves with confidence.

And because 93% of communication is non-verbal:

55% regards body language i.e., facial expressions, movements, posture

38% para language i.e., volume, the pace of speech, and tone of voice

The crème-de-la-crème of salespeople – the ones you want working for you – invest in this area of life.

Finally, the skill that brings everything together…

Good interpersonal skills

Interpersonal skills are an invaluable skill set for any salesperson to have. Knowing how to handle people is of utmost importance in this profession.

Therefore, interpersonal skills you want to see in sales candidates include:

  • The ability to show respect.
  • The ability to understand non-verbal communication.
  • The ability to empathise.
  • The ability to keep emotions in check.
  • The ability to actively listen.

The bottom line is the right sales candidate is worth their weight in gold.

Interested in finding out
more about The Nudge
Group?

Find out more about how we work and how we can help you grow your business.